Good day everyone!
The nuisance train has officially left the station! And I apologize up front if there are a few spelling and grammatical errors in here, but I wrote this out fast in a heap of adrenaline. Earlier today I officially started my Indiegogo campaign to raise funds for a web series I will be producing starting later this January titled “Is She, Isn’t She”. Trust me, you’ll get used to that title as I will likely be posting on it quite frequently in my efforts to network to raise funding for a project that I really think is worthwhile.
My objective at this time is to raise $1,500 in 45 days (which is when the campaign will end). Now obviously, if you know me closely, you don’t necessarily have to bother with going onto the Indiegogo website if you’re interested in making a contribution. We can just do that in person. Even if I don’t reach my goal on the site I still receive whatever money I raise so I’m not super concerned about making sure everyone who makes a contribution does it through that site. And I know I have lots of friends and film colleagues out there who hopefully can contribute in their own little ways. As a man who knows life being poor, a contribution of any amount will be incredibly appreciated by me as I move forward with this project. If you are interested in making a contribution you can access my Indiegogo page at: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/is-she-isn-t-she/x/1211654. There you can see what the project’s all about, get a better feel of what the storyline is before you start thinking about giving towards it. And, as you will see, I have a collection of possible perks you can receive as a result of making a contribution and most of them are very affordable. These perks include getting a copy of the whole series once it’s complete for a $20 contribution, and then for a $25 contribution you can get the Special Edition version of the series, which will include all of those bonus features we all love so much and can’t live without.
Now I should probably make it known now that I may become a bit of a nuisance over these next couple of weeks as I do my best to collect funding to make this production a reality. It’s something that has been nearly three years in the making and I am finally in a good place to put it all together so I am going to be relentless about funding. I have made donations to other people’s Kickstarter and Indiegogo accounts in the past and it really does create a sense of connection when you’re part of the filmmaking community wherever you live. And I love the fact that that exists and that we’re all somewhat interconnected with those we’ve worked with and respect in the film world and we’re always helping one another not because we feel we’ll get some special treatment for it later on, but because we just love doing it. And having worked diligently, especially over the last two weeks getting the script for this piece all organized and closer to its final place I become more and more excited every day for what this can be like. And I’m hoping some of my fellow filmmaking and acting friends will like to get involved with it in some form or another. There’s only a few major rolls but lots of small character roles to fill at the same time. And of course I will need some crew assistance as well, but nothing too extreme (too much crew tends to just create anarchy). But yes, you will be seeing lots of writing on “Is She, Isn’t She” on here over the next few weeks. That’s just what it takes and I’ve already put so much working into this project as of now that the last thing I plan on doing is slowing down and taking a rest. Those who know me well know how ridiculous my metabolism is and that I don’t like to linger around for too long. So I will be keeping happily busy.
After that rather lengthy rambling session, let me briefly lay out what this web series is going to revolve around, cause that’s what everyone’s really interested in. If I’m going to do a film advocating animal violence you’d all want to know that right away so you could tell me what a psychopath I am. But fortunately, my web series is going to be much more down to Earth than that... well, in a way. The title “Is She, Isn’t She” refers to the third most significant character, a quirky, bright and spontaneous gem of a girl named Cary. Cary becomes the center of attention for young Jake, who cannot seem to make anything with girls work and sports the dubious record of never managing to score second dates with women. But in meeting Cary he finds someone that he actually connects with right out of the gate. Then he takes her home and she meets Jake’s roommate, Taylor. Taylor is quite the opposite from Jake in that she has no problem getting girls... oh, right. She’s a lesbian. And upon meeting Cary she too becomes enamored of her right away, and the love battle begins. Instead of posing the simple question to Cary: “Who do you like? Men or women?” They decide to engage in competition for Cary’s attention, a competition that builds and builds and builds leading to arguments, misunderstandings, spoiled dinner experiences, and hey, even a little bit of infidelity. Needless to say at this point, the focus of this web series will be of the comedic value. And those of you that know me know that I have a rather dry, sometimes intriguing sense of humor.
But don’t me misled into thinking this is just going to be another meandering piece of comedic work that is simply a mess of jokes and off-and-on sight gags to keep people entertained for a few minutes. This series is going to be stocked! I’ve had to spend several hours just the past few days trying to think of what to cut because there’s just too much material for a short web series. And for this series I will be incorporating various styles of comedy, not just one, so the feel and the flow of the piece will remain consistence but not get drowned in redundant overused comedic elements. There will be dialogical comedy (which in and of itself will be filled with individual social commentary on subjects such as love, relationships and, of course, homosexuality and the relationships between the sexes), and there will obviously be physical comedy. The physical comedy will be of all various styles from borderline slapstick moments to more realistic moments such as getting smacked in the face by a girl you had a horrible date with after she discovers you just slept with her roommate. .......In case you’re now curious, yes that does happen in this series. And every character has meaning and a feel, even if it’s primarily through their corroboration with others. There are only a handful or main and reoccurring characters, but even the small roles are memorable and serve a specific purpose whenever their scenes occur. One element of small roles in the film is constant flashbacks we have on horrible dates that Jake has gone on that help develop a better understanding as to how bad his dating life had been (and sometimes how horrible he is at picking out the right type of girl to date). So this series i going to be in-depth and one of my deepest focuses is to prevent the series from every getting lost or hitting a low point, even if it’s only a minute or two, because it’s a web series! You only have 10 minutes or so an episode to keep viewers entertained. I want this to keep everyone’s attention from the opening moments of the first episode until that last shot from the final episode fades into the credits and you have to sit back and take in all the insanity that you’ve just witnessed. Obviously I want that moment of reflection to be a positive one. I want people to walk away from viewing this series with one objective, and that is to turn right around and watch it again. I have friends who see a video and the first thing they do is send it out to other friends or have a friend come over so they can watch it together because it’s really that entertaining. That’s what I want from this series. It’s what Paul Schrader (film historian/critic and the screenwriter of “Taxi Driver”) refers to as “rewatchability” I believe, which means just what it sounds like. Is it something people will see and want to see again?
But look at me, I’m getting ahead of myself in thinking about how everything will be in the end. Right now it’s first things first, and that is getting this wild ride funded so it functions more like a wild ride and not that little rusted out kiddy ride that breaks down every couple of weeks. So I’m just here to let you all know that my Indiegogo campaign is up and going and I hope what you have read here will inspire you to go take a look at my page. It won’t take very look to take a glance and making a contribution literally takes seconds (who woulda thought? when it comes to taking someone’s money the system works fast). So hopefully as many people as possible have either read to this point because they’re intentionally here, or, if I’m that lucky, you’ve stumbled onto here and kept reading, and you’ll go take a gander at my campaign page. Either way, thank you so much for making it this far and even if you can’t make a financial contribution at this time get the word around, because I’m sure there’s lots of people out there that will be interested in this series. They just need to hear about it first.
Again, the link to my campaign is:
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/is-she-isn-t-she/x/1211654
Thanks again and wish me luck!
Steve Poole
No comments:
Post a Comment