Monday, March 10, 2014

Ignorance Through Aggression

If memory serves me right, I posted something on here about the Kyron Horman case a little while back; this being the case of the little boy who disappeared from a Portland elementary school back in 2010. We're only a few months shy of the event being four years in the past and I am as optimistic as the next person but I have little reason to believe the boy is still alive somewhere. The events surrounding his disappearance lead me to that conclusion. But when I wrote about this a while back that came after an in-depth examination into the case gathering up what evidence I could get my hands on. I looked at what stories and such were very strong and which one's were questionable. From day one I have had the same suspicion as most people do, that his stepmother was either behind his disappearance or had a hand in it taking place.

In holding onto that conclusion I will be one of the first to say that this conclusion is still based on a collection of circumstantial evidence. There is not one unshakable piece of evidence that says to a hundred percent certainty that she did it or was involved. There is no body recovered and there is no crime scene. It's difficult to reach definitive conclusions when those two things are missing. In holding firm that based on this circumstantial reasoning I have had a logical inference to believe in her involvement I would also be the first to say that it's good that she has not been arrested and prosecuted for this crime, at least with the evidence I know about. Obviously not everything in regards to the case is known to the public but at the same time whatever evidence is not known of by the public cannot be speculated on with any validity. The truth is whatever there is to be known is not available to us to analyze. In that regard, nobody out there not directly involved in the investigation is any more or any less able than I to look into the case and reach logical and valid conclusions. And the simple truth is that with what is known, if Terri Horman was arrested now and put on trial there is enough reasonable doubt that she would never be found guilty of the crime. One, we have no body so it cannot be determined to an absolute certainty that the boy is even dead (likely though it seems). Two, again, not crime scene to put Terri and Kyron at the same place where a crime may have occurred. Three, there's not one eyewitness to Terri being with Kyron after the school's science fair. There is no physical evidence, as far as I know, to make her guilty of any crime. Granted, Terri had ample time to have possibly cleared out physical evidence, specifically from the truck she was driving, but even if such occurred it cannot be proven.

Other's say she's essentially professed her guilty by running away. First off, she is not the first possible crime suspect who was told to be quiet and lay low by her attorney. It happens frequently. And moving down to Roseburg is hardly running away. If the police uncover something that proves that she killed her stepson they wouldn't have a very hard time extraditing her from another town in the same state. Another mode of reasoning people have used is that Terri was fooling around with another man around the time of Kyron's disappearance. Not that this had anything necessarily to do with his disappearance, but it made people look at her moral compass and somehow say that if she's an adulteress that means she's capable of killing a child. To anyone legitimately analyzing a situation this form of logic would be dismissed right away, but such ignorance is easy to reach, especially with regards to a case sparking such emotion. If such were the case imagine how many people we would consider capable of child abduction and murder. But people use this logic to reach the conclusions they want to believe.

Terri Horman was made suspect number one right from the get go not because the police put the focus exclusively on her but because Kyron's immediate family did. I have always been somewhat suspicious as to the fact that Kyron's biological parents and his mother's husband were so quick to point the finger at Terri. And Kyron's biological mother is so overcome and caught up by the situation that she has been overcome by one of the most extreme cases of cognitive dissonance I have ever seen. Simply put, cognitive dissonance is when we are unable to consider certain possibilities because the possible effects of believing that something would be too damaging to our emotions and our structure of beliefs. It's essentially a defense mechanism. That's why in those cases where a guy gets busted for a crime in which he is unmistakably guilty you often see his parents coming out saying, "He didn't do it! Not our baby! He could never do that!" That said, Kyron's mother in the prevailing couple years has turned practically everything Terri has done and made it into a piece of evidence of her guilt. She's also claimed that she was suspicious from day one even though in those first several days after the disappearance they were all sticking together. And of course, Kyron's biological mom is being treated like a godsend because she is a mother who lost her child, which is heartbreaking enough, but at the same time, her counterpart is this supposed witch. Just the mere treatment that Terri Horman has received, coupled with the general public's perception of her, have almost by default made his biological parents look so innocent. But I have my suspicions about them as well. For instance, the whole reason Kaine and Kyron's biological mom divorced was because he was cheating on her with Terri. So we look at Terri in that case and in this case from around the time of Kyron's disappearance and we used that as proof that she's capable of killing and murder. But nobody gives Kaine, the father, any grief for the fact that he cheated on his wife with whom he had a child with. His indiscretions get wiped under the rug with no interest. Why?

The simple fact of the matter is that, as mentioned before, there is no clean cut case of Terri Horman's guilt so much to the point that she would never be found guilty based on the evidence known to the general public. And that is my assertion after looking into as much evidence as I could in an as objective investigation as I could conduct. In doing this I did some research via YouTube clips, mostly for news stories, interviews and things along those lines. And in viewing some of these videos I looked over some of the comments posted on the clips, clearly posted by people who knew little about the case. And there was practically every type of accusation imaginable calling Terri Horman evil, a red-headed devil, and so on. Now had these people been remotely informed on the case and the way that the law works in accordance with what should be basic human logic they would have to reach the conclusion that there is a lot of suspicion to be case on Terri Horman but we have to wait around and keep our eyes open until something definitive comes out that either proves her guilt or proves her innocence. That's what a mature, intelligent and responsible individual would do. But instead, we have these fools going on line and ranting about a case and people they know little to nothing about.

Many of these comments were in response to news programs which include interviews with Kyron's immediate family (thus making them incredibly skewed against Terri). It because clear to me then that these were mostly comments posted as a result of emotion reaction, which of course we are often told not to react in emotion because we make mistakes. That's exactly what these people are doing and it's amazing to me as to reactive and foolish these people have behaved, and they're all over the place, reaching convenient conclusions either because they want to believe those conclusions or because those conclusions go in sync with what everyone else in the public believes and we're too frightened and insecure to stand our own ground. We always talk about how we individually stand up for what we believe in but, as instances like this show, time and time again so many of us not only go with the crowd but we defend that ground fervently even though we don't have the slightest idea what the hell we're talking about! This is something that really needs to stop because this case is only one case and behavior like this happens all over the place. We see news programs or interviews and automatically presume them to be true and thus start spouting off what we hear as though it's the gospel truth. People are found guilty by those in the general public all the time for a wide array of general things. We always hear, when someone gets busted for something, people come out and either say, "No way! There's no way they did that!" or "Yeah, they did that. I know it." Both sides tend to be reacting from either emotion or bias or both. But the simple truth is we don't know. Sometimes nice innocent people end up doing crazy things and strange, demented-looking people go out and do extraordinary things. But we reach conclusions based on unsubstantiated nonsense and our own misguided perspective on things that is often tainted by several factors.

Proof and evidence are the only things we have to determine a persons guilt or innocence or anything. And right now solid proof and undeniable evidence of guilt are still both lacking in the case of Terri Horman. So, once again, despite my believe that she played a part in his disappearance, I would not put her on trial right now and none of us have the right to persecute her right now as though she's on trial. Without undeniable proof of her guilt not one of us has the right to berate her or treat her as guilty. And I am on the defensive so much in this regard because I believe this kind of behavior shows an ignorant classless element to our society wherein people think they can disgrace the names of others simply because they can. Regardless what we are able or allowed to do we should have the kindergarten education to realize what is reasonable and what is not, but sadly so many of us don't. And this is going on all over the place. I see it happen in my own life wherever I go. I've seen people I know being accused of doing things that there was no proof they did. I've been accused in my very own home of doing things I did not do because it was convenient to put it on me. I know what it feels like and it's a nonsensical and asinine mode of behavior. I'm working on growing up a little more each day and it looks like a good deal many of us have a long ways to go in that regard. Use your braisn people, they're there for a reason.    

No comments:

Post a Comment