I feel I’ve come to a point in my work as a filmmaker that I’m
feeling very satisfied and comfortable with the experience I’ve gained
in the technical aspects, or at least comfortable enough to know that
what I have can carry me so I can focus more on writing and maintaining
writing stories and scripts that keep a viewers attention and have those
arcs and variations that I feel so many independent films lack right
now (and I’ve had that sentiment fed back to me by many actors I have
worked with). I have also branched out in a lot of my recent work,
meaning I stepped outside of my shell and wrote characters that are
experiencing things not all that remarkably close to what I have be
experiencing personally. Sure many of my films deal with people in hard
times and we all personally experience hard times, I feel I’ve focused
on individuals independent of me (especially considering many of the
leads in my recent films have been female characters). Thinking all of
this over and with the epiphany that smacked me right in the face last
Sunday while in the middle of church service I came to terms with what I
want my next big film project to be.
As anyone who
knows me even modestly well should know I am a Catholic and have been
for about the last six years. And in those six years I’ve experienced
both periods of rapid personal change as well as periods where it seemed
I didn’t really know where I was going. But in recent times, in
particular the past year or so, I have become quite enthused in finally
discovering what it is I want to do with my life. Not so long ago when I
turned 26 I think there were still great doubts as to what I really
wanted to do with my life and that unfortunately grew and for a brief
period led me into making some very bad decisions, some of which I still
regret even to this moment. But by the end of last summer, when I was
wavering, I rediscovered my love of filmmaking and it has never been
stronger. I have practically dedicated my every free moment the past six
months to shooting a collection of films and with each one I gain even
greater confidence and a much stronger grasp on the particular cinematic
style that I like to use. In gaining a better idea of who I am over
these past couple of years I have also gained a better understanding of
where my feelings about things lay. I feel like I have greater empathy
than I did before when I was very confused about my objectives and spent
a great deal ignoring them and closing myself off to the world. In
becoming a Catholic around the age of 20 it was another interesting
transition and something that confused me at times, but I adjusted
somewhat quick. However, in becoming more faithful and religious I, like
so many others, found myself needing to address things that I had for
the most part ignored in the past. And more than anything else, what has
attracted the most thought from me since developing a stronger faith
has been the issues surrounding Christianity and homosexuality.
When
I was younger I didn’t have any gay friends so you could say I
conveniently ignored the issue, but in recent years I have become a
member of the Christian faith, a faith that unfortunately has been
gravely misrepresented by a collection of what I would simply call
“fanatics”. Amidst this and the whole issue of “homosexuality as a sin”
it still didn’t attract my attention much. But a great deal of that
changed once I started actually having gay friends and suddenly I had to
accept that this issue had to gain deeper importance in my life. In
developing these friendships I was forced to look at these issues more
deeply and rapidly the concept of “homosexuality as a sin” began to
trouble me because at first it felt like a no way out scenario. For a
while I just followed the common line of, well, Christianity says
homosexuality is wrong, so I guess it is. But being the reflective
person I am, that solution only satisfied me for so long. And again,
when you have close friends, all of which that you adore, and some
happen to be gay and some happen to not be, you start to notice that
there is very little distinction there between the two. I loved all of
them equally regardless of their sexual orientation or anything else for
that matter. And once I started to think about the issue I guess you
could say I haven’t really stopped. I have roughly some 40 pages or so
of reflective writings that I’ve done on the issue, just in an effort to
help me think things through, and those writings have already been a
major help in my preparing for my next film.
In short,
my next film, which I am tentatively titling “A Man of Faith” follows a
young man who is a devout Christian and a homosexual at the same time.
In his personal life just about everybody he knows, family and friends,
know that he is gay but he has been keeping it from his church
congregation for the fear that it will damage the strong bonds he had
developed with those he attends with. He yearns strongly to tell
everyone so that he can be free of the secret he has kept, but fear has
kept him in check. The film thus chronicles the life he leads and the
experiences he has in his efforts to reveal the truth to his church
family. Obviously the overall film will go deeper than that, but this is
the films plot at its core.
Since I started writing on
the issue of Christianity and homosexuality a while back I have had the
urge to use my film talents to create something that addresses this
issue from the way that I see it. I pondered doing a short
semi-documentary film, but the idea never really gained much ground. I
had bounced around a few other ideas before the simplest and best idea
struck me right in the face last Sunday: just make a regular old film
about it! And once that thought hit me there was no stopping it. The
first thing I did when service ended was ran downstairs and grabbed some
scratch paper to start scribbling out all the ideas that had come to me
in that short time. Now while it’s exciting to jump into a project such
as this that has spawned from something I have put a lot of thought to,
it’s a very sensitive concept as well. Fortunately, much of my past
thoughts and reflections on the issue have already helped give me a
strong comprehension as to the purpose and direction I am hoping to
follow with this film.
First of all, it was essential
to me to make the lead character a gay Christian for so many reasons.
One, it is something that seems to go more or less unknown to a lot of
people that there are a good many people of faith out there who happen
to be gay. And I am astounded when I hear people say that gay people
can’t really be Christians (and yes, I’ve heard that more times than I
care to remember). The question I pose then is, “Why? Cause they’re
sinners?” Let me remind my fellow members of the faith, everybody sins.
Masturbation is a sin, folks. And if that’s the case then just about all
of us are screwed if you say committing a sin alone is grounds for not
being a member of the faith. But still, it goes so relatively unknown to
so many that there are gay Christians out there in remarkable numbers.
And thus I feel there is a definitely uniqueness and revelation in
having the lead character in my film be this way. But that’s just some
surface reasoning. From a deeper perspective, I find it very unfortunate
that the issue of homosexuality (of which gay marriage is obviously
included) is such a volatile one between people who are gay and those
who are more religiously fanatic. I understand the whole issue in this
regard less and less because it is just so much useless fighting. The
people on the gay side often react with, “Hey, I am who I am. Take your
religion and shove it.” And then the people on the religious side
counter with the old, “Well you’re gonna burn in Hell if you don’t
repent. You’re all horrible sinners”, and so on. Nothing ever gets
resolved and the unnecessary fighting goes on. Part of the reason it
goes on is because there is not a mediator between the two. If one is
gay and not religious, they are likely not going to care what some angry
religious person says to them, and thus they have a personal bias
towards their end. Just as well, if one is religious and not gay it’s
easy and convenient for them to attack homosexuality, again because of
their personal bias. I feel a very strong way of addressing this issue
and finding some common ground can be through a character who
understands the world from both sides, and thus making him both gay and a
Christian is very important.
Now despite the subject
matter and the social implications, it is my objective to make a film, a
legitimate film. This is not going to be some social statement wrapped
under the guise of being a film. I find when people try and do films
that deal with social issues not only do they damage a potentially great
story by overwhelming it with social messages that make their
characters more like message boards that real raw human beings, but they
also often have a personal bias themselves. And thus when someone makes
a film all about presenting a particular social message it is often
just what the filmmaker believes personally and thus anyone who is
watching is expected to just agree with whatever social statement is
being made. This film is not going to be a pro-gay or anti-gay film, nor
is it going to be a pro-religion or anti-religion film. That’s a very
shallow, one-dimensional way of looking at things that I fear is the way
far too many filmmakers choose to function. For me personally the
greatest issue here is not weather one side or the other is right, but
to me the thing that bothers me the most is the inhumane and
embarrassing way in which the issue is often handled (and in most cases I
am referring the the way in which the religious side handles it). These
people that are protesting gay pride parades and wandering around with
signs that says “God hates gays” and supposedly on the same side of the
fence as me and yet I could not disagree with their perspectives and
their actions any more. To me, the most frustrating aspect of the whole
gay/religious fighting is the fact that people, again it’s mostly those
on the religious side, are treating each other so horribly and saying
things you should never say to another person, especially if that person
has never done anything wrong to you. To me this is an issue of
humanity and the way we ought to behave towards each other than anything
else. And that will be the deeper focus of the film is delving into the
feelings of people and showing directly the emotional impact that is
felt by someone who may be imperfect and/or different and how such
behavior just devalues the human being who chooses to employ it.
I
feel that now a days people are so spoiled by the contrivances in their
lives, and few of us truly appreciate all these things we have like the
internet, ipads, smart phones and so on and the positive things that
they can make happen. Instead so many of us now a days shut down and do
the bare minimum. Nobody can argue people now a days in many regards are
incredibly lazy and so few of us want to take the time to think things
through and discuss them and thus we seldom ever really fully understand
the things that we claim are important in our lives. We pick a side and
assume that side is always right, even if we haven’t taken the time to
truly grasp what being on that side means. In the unfortunate fighting
that goes on between some gay and religious people there are so many
misconceptions that have been allowed to occur. People have been led to
believe that homosexuality is so much worse than other so-called sins
when even someone with a novice understanding of Christianity knows that
a sin is a sin. So no matter which way you look at it, if we just drop
everything and say homosexuality is definitely a sin, it still shouldn’t
have this aggressive attention focused on it. Unfortunately, as I
believe, so many of these “Christians” that protest things such as gay
pride gatherings are more people struggling with an identity crisis than
anything else. Most people who feel isolated or like they don’t know
who they are will often join up with some group so they feel they have a
sense of worth. Unfortunately, most of these people join up with some
specific group of people strictly to feel wanted or to feel like they’re
a part of something without taking the time to understand what it is
they have attached themselves to. And, as anyone knows, those who feel
isolated and want to be recognized will try and throw themselves out
there and be seen. Many of these protestors we see I feel fit in with
this type of person and that’s why they’re out there screaming,
hollering and shaking their signs around while at the same time
practically violating almost everything there is to be in Christianity. I
doubt many of these people even know where to look in the Bible for
scripture references that may or may not discuss Christianity, and if
they do know it’s likely just because someone else told them where they
are. They forget all about the reoccurring theme of not being judgmental
of others, or what about not playing God? Being a human on earth and
telling others that they are positively going to Hell is totally a way
of playing God because they are telling others what God is going to do.
And what about loving your neighbor? Forgiving everyone, including your
enemies. If one feels that homosexuality is a sin and they see someone
else practicing it, by the conception of Christianity you should forgive
that individual for what they do and move on. But you never see these
people doing this and, from a religious perspective, I am confounded as
to how these people can act so hateful and erratic, and it’s become
obvious to me that most of these people just don’t think through what
they do. Then they go out and do it and create a total misconception
that religious/Christian people are all these crazy, unbalanced
hate-mongers, but these people that we often see represent such a small
part of the Christian population and I cringe to even discuss them as
being Christians since they violate practically every core requirement
in being one. I can wander around and call myself an astronaut all I
want and still have no real conception of the job or any background
studies or training on the matter. Anyone can call themselves a
Christian as well, but it doesn’t mean they are. And unfortunately those
that openly hate religion too often don’t try and think things through
clearly, but rather try and push the agenda that whenever people go out
and protest and make asses out of themselves, as is often the case with
these protestors, they are representative of their religion as a whole,
and thus everyone who practices religion is like that... Well, I’m not.
And just about every Christian I know isn’t like that. But again, people
want to believe what they want to believe without thinking things
through and thus we have wide spread confusion about what is and what
isn’t. In producing this movie and creating a character that forges
together the dynamics of Christianity and homosexuality I hope to bridge
some of these misconceptions and have a character that is true to both
sides and thus doesn’t have an agenda against either one.
Currently
I am still in the midst of finalizing the structure of the script,
making sure the story comes together the way I want it to; it’s
definitely a challenge to create a story like this while preventing
aspects of it from going awry. But I am going into the project with a
pure motivation, as pure as I can make it. Hopefully what I have written
leading up to this point bears that out and I hope everyone will
understand that. This is intended to be a humane film in a time where
such projects are few and far between because we’re busy watching
slasher films and marveling at characters being tortured and killed in
remarkably pathetic ways. I say that in the hopes that people will
understand why I am doing this and not look at it as though there is
some ulterior motivation underlying the whole project. It’s a fairly
significant undertaking and I wouldn’t be taking on such a project if I
didn’t feel it was worth it. So here’s to another fun film production!
No comments:
Post a Comment