Friday, November 15, 2013

Today's Comedy

I had the good fortune to spend the earlier portion of today shooting a short comedy film. I've been shooting many short comedies recently as I work on polishing off my longer and more in depth serious pieces of film. I enjoy comedies but I don't think they're really my forte. When I make a comedy I tend to want to make it as absurd as humanly possibly because if I am going to make a real feel, down to earth film it always ends up being serious or more in the dramatic style. So when I shoot comedies sometimes it's just to have another film to my credit, they're often short 10 to 15 minute pieces that don't take long to shoot nor to edit. However, today was a different story. I shot a short comedy and for the first time in a long while I really enjoyed shooting a comedy (even though it too fits into the vein of being absolutely absurd). For the first time in a while I found myself needing to hold back laughter while the shooting was going on and it was just an all around wonderful experience. Needless to say then that I am avidly looking forward to cutting the piece together and seeing what it looks like all as one.

The plot, in short, follows a woman who is trying to go over court papers in preparation for going to court later that day after being arrested for sitting in her car wasted and screaming obscenities at the local police department. In her efforts to prepare for the day she is constantly hounded by solicitors offering a barrage of random products and services. With each successive solicitor the woman becomes a little more unhinged, which isn't to say she wasn't already somewhat unhinged, to the point of finally knocking one of them out and things get a little more crazy from there. As has become the often case, I had my friend Laura (yes the same Laura from my blog on my pee journey through Sellwood) play the lead and she knocked it out of the park, as was no surprise to me. This is the fourth film I've shot with her and every experience has been pleasant as I keep providing her characters that are more and more crazy. I've been very fortunate in general with the film talent I have been able to work with in the past year or so. On only a few occasions have I had the misfortune of working with less than professional and courteous talent. And I feel incredibly grateful for these talented actors who I've worked with, not one of which have I compensated financially for their performances, and yet they come to work every time and it's always a pleasure working with them. And seeing as my next major drama piece is going to have at least fifteen characters I am doubtful that at least a few of the roles won't be taken by those I have worked with before.

It feels pretty good to work with such respectable talent and to know that they enjoyed working with you and would be willing to work with you again in the future. Everyone look out on YouTube for a film titled "The Men At the Door", because that will be my work! I know this is a much shorter entry than I have posted before but what can I say, I have editing work to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment